+ Reply to Thread

Question Toilet sucking water out of bowl of other toilet

When we flush the toilet in the main bathroom it sucks the water out of the bowl of the master bathroom toilet. We had a plumber come and he had no ideas. He called his boss and he didn't have any ideas either. Any ideas?

Default Re: Toilet sucking water out of bowl of other toilet

Ask the plumber to check the vents, because they may not be doing their job.

Is this a new problem or has it always be like this? Did you by chance just replace a toilet?
    John

are the two toilets back to back? exactly behind each other?

It is a new problem. We replaced the one in the main bathroom about 1 and 1/2 years ago with an American Standard and the one in the master bath 2 months ago with a Toto.

The two toilets are back to back exactly behind each other.

On the drain pipes for the toilets the vent pipe is in the middle of them where they connect to the main line. We ran water down the vent pipe for about 5 mins.

i ran into this issue once before, therefore i can only tell you what happened to me. i don't know if this would cover your situation. johnh2o might have a thought on this subject.

i had a customer with this exact same problem and they were updating both bathrooms. toilets were back to back. they lived in this house for over 40 years and the problem arose a year or two prior to me rehabbing the bathrooms. both toilets were wall mount but i assume this could translate into your issue. there was a tee with both toilets draining into it from each side with the vent above and drain going straight down. when one toilet was flushed the rush of water would shoot into the tee with some of the water going across the tee into the drain of the other toilet. now that water would enter and exit the tee of the other toilet and when that happened the water in the other toilet would burp or wave every time the other toilet was flushed.

what we found out was that there was, at some point, a flap type of thing in the middle of the tee to prevent the water from shooting across to the other toilet. this flap had broken off at some point and disappeared. i had never heard about this before and due to the fact that they didn't want to pay for a plumber, i never corrected the issue and they continue to live with the gurgling toilet to this day.