Thread: Yard Lights

Cool Yard Lights

I have two yard lights thatcut off and on during the night. I replaced the halide bulbs as I saw on the net. Same thing happened.27.95 for each is quite expensive.Next I tried new sensors at 10.00 each. Again same thing-Off and On all night. I would appreciate some advice. I was told to replace the fixture with flouresant fixtures. Advice please.:

Default Re: Yard Lights

you may have a problem with the wiring, not the fixtures or the bulbs.

I agree with DJ, I have repaired more than one standard incandescent fixture simply by cleaning the contacts and redoing the wire connections.

Turn off the power to the fixture before you start doing anything!
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

I don't suppose you installed the wrong ballast but, low voltage due to a loose wirenut could cause the lamp to shut down. After a cool down period full voltage will be seen at the lamp and it will re-strike. over & over.

Or, you could have bad ballasts, yes not likely, but, they do have the same operating hours under the same conditions.

Or, when your A/C unit comes on it causes the lamp voltage to drop and after a cool down period, will restart.

Also, some fixtures have high temp. safety thermostats. Did you put in a lamp with a higher wattage or remove a heat shield?

Lastly, if you have a dusk-dawn or motion switch, jumper around it for a test one night.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content