+ Reply to Thread

Default Laundry Room refinishing

My laundry room is an addition to the house. It has had some mildew problems before we bought the house. We have removed all the interior walls (paneling and fiber board) and the linoleum off the floor. The walls are wood slats on the outside with no insulation between the studs. We live in TN. What is the best way to finish the room..insulate and use mildew resistant drywall on walls and ceilings? The room does not have heat but has a doorway (no door) to the house so there can be some airflow. Dryer is vented outside. I am concerned the laundry room will get mold and mildew again. Thanks.

Brad

Default Re: Laundry Room refinishing

you can install a bathroom ceiling fan. all laundry rooms can get a little humid from the washing machine and the dryer. a ceiling fan will help get that damp air out of the room.

Insulating the walls & ceiling should go a long way to preventing condensation & mildew. A heat/ac vent would help keep the room warmer & better ventilated.

Do you have a window in your laundry room?

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a 1 window and an door to outside (main rear house entrance) that is directly into the laundry room.

As for ceiling exhaust fan...the addition that was done does not have much slope on the roof so I don't think I have the head space above the ceiling. ..is it ok to install the fan in the wall rather than ceiling and vent to outside? The room is 7x10 feet.

Thanks again

So you have a window, and do you open it?

If the window is stationary, you can install a wall mounted vent with an exit to the outside. You will have to bring in a wire for power.

Do you have a basement or is it on a slab? My laundry room in Georgia is over a crawl space. The floor is insulated from underneath. Also make sure your dryer filter is clean. A dirty one can make dust and moisture back up into the room.