+ Reply to Thread

Default Mysterious wood drain pipe in basement!

I have a New England house built in 1870 with a fieldstone foundation basement. The floor is all concrete to the walls. I was cleaning out my basement yesterday and there is a small 1 square foot square hole in the floor with each side lined with a piece of wood. Previous owners had piled miscellaneous stones in it blocking it up. I was curious as to what the purpose of this hole was so I removed the rocks and stuck a flashlight in there. About 1 foot down it takes a nearly 90 degree turn towards the center of the basement draining downward into who knows where under the floor. I could see the drain was square in shape and had wood pieces lining the inside completely. Does anyone know what the purpose of this drain is and where it might be heading to? I had recently placed a dehumidifier in the basement and was looking for a drain to use and was thinking this might be a good place to get rid of the water. Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Mysterious wood drain pipe in basement!

Hi, this sounds familiar, since I had a similar situation running down to the basement to a cistern. I had two in this house, one we could see in the basement, since it was an 8ft x 8ft box, the other was underground. Both did have wooden drains. Maybe it could be that?

It may originally been part of a cooling trough for milk.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by KMB View Post
    Hi, this sounds familiar, since I had a similar situation running down to the basement to a cistern. I had two in this house, one we could see in the basement, since it was an 8ft x 8ft box, the other was underground. Both did have wooden drains. Maybe it could be that?
    You're probably right. There is an outside rain gutter that drains to a pipe that heads into the ground. Looking on the web it sounds like cisterns were used to collect rainwater as well so maybe that is also tied to this underground cistern. I had to put a dehumidifier down in the basement to help with the damp musty odor that was emanating from the basement. I decided to put the drain hose into this mysterious drain pipe since I didn't have another drain in the basement. So sounds like this won't be an issue since cisterns were used for water collection anyway.