Default Exterior Wall Outside Bathroom Problem

Hello,
    Have a shower/bath that are up against a wall. Knew that there was a leak/mold in drywall behind shower. Replaced and had it re-tiled this winter. So we knew we had mold in there and I am confident that the contractor who did the work did it right but another issue has cropped up relating to the original leak.

The paint on our exterior siding (cedar/wood) has been peeling and until today I didn't realize that it was primarily in the bathroom area where we had the moisture problem.

There is no obvious rot on the outside of the planking but is it possible that there is rot on the inside? If there is possibly rot I'll probably just have the back of the house resided with vinyl or LP Smartside to be sure it is o.k. but a part of me is thinking just repaint it and see if it peels again.

Any thoughts on what the likelihood is that there is rot/mold on the back of the planks?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Default Re: Exterior Wall Outside Bathroom Problem

Quote: "is it possible that there is rot on the inside?"

Yes, it's possible. You won't know until you peek inside.

On the other hand, your idea may work, since it will so cheap in comparison to the other option - if there is no mold.

Question: did the contractor eradicate the mold when he did the interior?

Thanks for your comments.

I'm fairly sure the contractor got rid of the mold as he tore out all of the drywall and there was no visible mold and everything looked clean to me. I'm not familiar with the various layers that eventually get out to the siding so I can't say that maybe he should have gone in deeper and looked at the inside of the siding.

Talked to the contractor who did the work and he said it was possible that there was some rot but he thought the wood had simply lost its ability to hold paint and that siding was probably the way to go given the pricing I was getting.

Hate to tear off what I think what looks like good siding except for that one spot but I guess that is what I'm going to do.

Jeff

I would repaint and go from there. Since the interior was just torn out and redone from bare studs, it would have been obvious if there had been rot issues. If you trust your contractor and he was forthright during his work, you should be ok.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

Is the shower vented all the way out the roof. I was surprised when I had a bathroom repair done to find mine was vented to the attic only, allowing the steam / humidity to float around the attic. If yours is vented anywhere near the siding problem make sure it is not leaking behind the wall. Is there anyway that humidity from the shower could be making its way to the outer wall? I am not a construction expert and don't even know if that is possible, but I do keep running across people whose new shower installation did not include the proper waterproofing.