+ Reply to Thread

Default Non-Standard Toilet

I would like to change out the toilets in my house to a new high efficiency type but the way my house was built, the current toilets are 10" rough. The foundation is a solid concrete slab and the drains cannot be moved. Is there a high efficiency toilet for a 10" rough that I can purchase? I haven't been able to find any.

Default Re: Non-Standard Toilet

I'd contact a few of the major brands and ask them directly. You might find what you're looking for on their website or they may be able to send you to a local dealer.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

all 10" and 14" rough toilets are 1.6 gallons per flush now and have been for many years.

I believe the both the Gerber Viper and the Gerber Avalanche are available in 10" rough-in. They are available in 1.6 or 1.28 gallons/flush models. I haven't tested the Viper, but we recently installed the 1.6 gpf Avalanche at my church and it seems to perform very well. One thing that I like about it is it has a large pool of water in the bowl so it stays cleaner.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

JoeIrving has hit on a sore point with me. I have never owned a house that came with a 12" rough in for the toilets. Every house I have owned, or any member of my family has owned was built with a 10" rough in for the toilets, yet when you go to the hardware store, all toilets are 12" rough in. We have always had to go to a plumbing supply house to get toilets, and the selection is always limited.

Last time I checked, you can get the American Standard Cadet 3 toilet, their second best toilet in a 10" rough in on special order, but the their top of the line toilet, the Champion 4 is only available in 12".

You can do what I did on one toilet that I could not move if it is an interior wall. I cut out behind the toilet and framed in a miniature alcove with 2x2s just a little larger than the toilet. You may also have to reroute the vent stack for that.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    JoeIrving has hit on a sore point with me. I have never owned a house that came with a 12" rough in for the toilets. Every house I have owned, or any member of my family has owned was built with a 10" rough in for the toilets, yet when you go to the hardware store, all toilets are 12" rough in. We have always had to go to a plumbing supply house to get toilets, and the selection is always limited.
    The problem is that the floor joists are not laid out properly. You can't install a flange for a 12" rough-in if there's a floor joist in the way. In some cases, the architect specifies a joist layout that doesn't consider the needs of the plumbing; in other cases the layout is left up to the framer and they just don't care. In yet other cases, the plumber gets so disgusted at always having to do a 10" or 14" rough-in that he just hacks away the joist that's in the way (so he can install a 12" rough-in) and lets the framer come back and fix it.

When I was an apprentice plumber, the journeymen I knew expressed this frustration many times because they know how difficult it can be to get a toilet for 10" or 14" rough-in.

If people really cared, they'd think about that little problem before the plumber gets there.

If you want to hear something really strange, the toilets at my church (installed in 1946) had a 16" rough-in. Since the pipes are in a concrete floor, there's not much option for reconfiguring. We had to replace them (in 2013), and ordered 14" rough-in, but they still are 2" away from the wall.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 07-08-2013 at 07:14 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    The problem is that the floor joists are not laid out properly. You can't install a flange for a 12" rough-in if there's a floor joist in the way. In some cases, the architect specifies a joist layout that doesn't consider the needs of the plumbing; in other cases the layout is left up to the framer and they just don't care. In yet other cases, the plumber gets so disgusted at always having to do a 10" or 14" rough-in that he just hacks away the joist that's in the way (so he can install a 12" rough-in) and lets the framer come back and fix it.
    In my current house, the plumber not only did a 10" rough in, but he cut through two adjacent floor joists to do it and neither was repaired. Kinda hard to figure out how someone would need to do that with standard 16" OC spacing, but he did. The toilet wobbled because of a 48" span that was not fully supported. The previous owners didn't seem to notice or care. I ended up gutting this bathroom dirt to ceiling and rebuilding it, new joists and all. I think this house was plumbed by the worst plumbers that money could by. I had to re-plumb the whole house along with rebuilding that bathroom.