+ Reply to Thread

Default Best finsih for wood floora

Is there an obvious choice for wood floor finishes. I have read the properties of the different finsihes but I cant really tell.

I want durable and easy maintenance for a high traffic area with kids and pets

is there a better product for a few dollars more?

thanks in advance

Default Re: Best finsih for wood floora

My preference is OldMasters brand oil based varnish. It has great leveling properties and drys to a hard durable finish.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Is oil better then water based? is it more durable?

Is there an idea amount of coats

thanks

Oil is more durable, and 3 to 4 coats.

Jack

i see that some companies make a stain and varnish in one step, is this recommended.

thanks

also - is this the product you recommend

http://www.myoldmasters.com/products...lbasedpoly.htm

I never use stain/finish combos, the stain remains in the finish and any scratch will show bare wood. Stain should be applied first to soak into the wood fibers, let dry and then finish.

And yes the Old Masters oil based poly is all I use.

Jack

Thank you so much. Sometimes contractors use what they want and not what is optimal. I really needed some honest insight.

Will this yellow and if so, how long does it take?

Also I read 24 hours between coats, That basically means that this is going to take a minimum of 4-5 days right? how long till i can put the furniture back down. I am asking all these questions because the wife is pregnant and she is staying in a hotel during the process

thanks again

I originally had Glitza applied when my new floors were put down. It is a great product, but highly toxic when applied. You have to get out of the house for at least 24 hours. the installers have to wear outside air respirators!

Several years later, the Glitza was holding up fine, except for right under the table which is used every day. It had not worn through yet, but had dulled. Not wanting to ujse Glitza in the house which was now occupied, i began researching. I decided on the water based catalysed urethanes from Bona. They have very low odor, can be walked on in stocking feet after 4 or 5 hours, don't yellow, and furniture can go back in a couple days. All this much faster than the oil based products.

Both Glitza and Bona are Swedish companies. Guess they know something about varnishes in Sweden.

After several months of having Bona professionally applied, it appears to be holding up fine. there were no adhesion problems to the old Glitza. Bona is user friendly. I chose not todo it myself because my hardwoods go through the whole house without a break and I wanted minimum disruption of the household Were I doing a single isolated room, I would definitely have done it myself. There are lots of how to videos on "You Tube" about Bona.

I am from the old school and tend to think that oils are better, but the more I research it, water based urethanes now match or exceed the oil versions.