+ Reply to Thread

Default Matching new natural cedar shake siding to the brown, aged shakes on house.

I'm having the cedar shakes on one side of the house (the one most exposed to the sun all day)replaced with natural cedar shakes. They have no color, finish or preservative on them. I purchased another gallon of the product I used on my pressure treated deck (Defy Epoxy Cedar tone semi-translucent stain and preservative) intending to have the contractor paint it on when done installing. I tried it on a small scrap and found it does give it a bit more color but then wondered if I'm better off leaving it alone and allowing the weather to "age" it for a season. My goal is to allow them to darken, not lighten... as the rest of the house has "aged" for 30+ years to a very nice light brown(on the bottom) and dark brown (on the top) of each shingle. Should I consider staining them dark now? The cedar tone I bought is still MUCH lighter than the rest. :confused

Default Re: Matching new natural cedar shake siding to the brown, aged shakes on house.

Kwiatrose,

If you let your shingles age, they are going to turn grey, not brown. Your best chance at getting them to look similar
    is to find or blend stains to give you a similar color. However, you will never get them to look exactly the same,
    especially with the variance of coloration on the individual shingles. Mother Nature does that with time.

Default Re: Matching new natural cedar shake siding to the brown, aged shakes on house.

Stain to match as closely as you can. This is why I never recommend natural cedar as there will always be at least one side of a house which will not age the same as the sunnier sides. Cedar is great, but you must stain it and maintain it if you want a consistent color all over. Natural means Mother Nature does what she will and you accept that as-is with no guarantees.

Phil