+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1920's home

Default 1920's home

Thinking about purchasing a home built in the 1920's. It's a beautiful home on the water and would love to keep character with the older home. The exterior however is the old concrete blocks. Textured, not flat like cinder blocks. Has anyone ever heard of staining the stone/blocks?

Default Re: 1920's home

you can paint it, but you won't be able to stain it.

Smile Re: 1920's home

Hello. I have a home on the west coast that was built in the 1920's. The exterior wall material on one side of the house towards the back has cracked and a small portion has fallen to the ground. As you look up at the crack, you can see where some of the material (I guessing mortar, because stucco I think didn't exist then) has pulled away from the house. It is about 8-10 inches down the wall and about 6-7 inches across the top. Can anyone suggest a way to determine the type of material used and how to properly repair the damage. Obviously I will need to get up on a ladder and remove the loose portion of material, but I am not sure if some sort of glue will be required for the new material repair. Any suggestions? A quick response would be appreciated. I want to repair before winter gets here. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by brandimoran4 View Post
    Thinking about purchasing a home built in the 1920's. It's a beautiful home on the water and would love to keep character with the older home. The exterior however is the old concrete blocks. Textured, not flat like cinder blocks. Has anyone ever heard of staining the stone/blocks?
    You can stain the blocks if they are made of concrete containing lime.
    An Acidic Solution containing Metalic Salts will react with the Hydrated Lime to give you the color.
    Your color selection may be limited to about 8 to 10 colors.
    Check with companys that do concrete stamping and colored floors of concrete to find the stains.

Definitely make sure the concrete is as dry as possible before you attempt to stain. We had issues with that with our old slab. The contractor said he could stain the concrete no problem but there was way too much water built up to accommodate any types of changes like that! Good luck!