+ Reply to Thread

Default Reocurring blocked drain

I've had 3 blocked drain episodes in the past 8 mos. This last one I asked them to bring along a camera thinking it possibly was tree roots. We have a slab foundation home; I was advised that there was a "belly" in the piping that ran the 54 ft underneath the slab to the main clean out behind the house and that water and etc. was collecting there. The plumber stated it w/b advisable to trench below the slab, replace the current pipes and add hangers to the under side of the foundation every 4 ft. This project was going to cost $24,000. The second plumber I called advised me to trench along the side of the house breaking out the driveway and back patio concrete to reach the main clean out. They would "seal" off the old drains from the kitchen sink, laundry room and 1/2 bath tying into the new drainage outside. I have a wet bar over the "belly" that uses the current drain; I'm concerned as to how it w/b affected, and additionally, about disturbing the packed soil beneath the slab foundation as minor subsidence has occurred along a few streets in our subdivision. How does a "belly" develop beneath a slab foundation if there's no water leaks, We've had no recognizable increase in our water bill for the past 10 yrs? Thx for your thoughts on this dilemma.

Default Re: Reocurring blocked drain

A belly can be formed in plastic ABS pipes. Normally it's not a big problem, but maybe in your case it is.

The first plumber is looking for a killing. The second plumber is more reasonable. How about getting a third plumber over?

A few months ago a customer had recurring blockages in the washing machine's drain. The washer is in the kitchen. Rather than breaking the slab, I by passed the line to the nearest exterior wall, around the house and to the main. It was a 2" ABS line into a 4" ABS line. I capped the old drain and was done in 2 days. Total length: about 50 ft. Total bill: less than 2000.

I have some questions. How old is the house and what type pipe do you have? Have you seen the video from the camera? Did they tell you how much of the line was holding water?
    John

John, the house was built in 1976 and the second crew out said the pipes were ABS is that the same as PVC? I asked to see the video, however there was some reason, I can't remember now why, they couldn't show it to me. Said they would bring it out to the house when my wife returned to town so that we both could view it. They did not say how much water accumulation was in the belly and I didn't ask, probably should have. BK

ABS is a plastic pipe. The pipe is black and it uses a different type glue then PVC. When you get to see the video they should be able to tell you how much of the pipe is holding water. They should also be able to tell where the low point is. There may be other ways to solve your problem depending on the length and location of the low point.
    John

"we can't show it to you now" makes me nervous.

Make them snake it again and watch the video live. Let us know how much of the pipe diameter is covered with water.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    "we can't show it to you now" makes me nervous.

Make them snake it again and watch the video live. Let us know how much of the pipe diameter is covered with water.
    That statement also puts up a red flag for me.
    John

John, I've been thinking back on that conversation; maybe it had something to do w/them going to put it on a CD that they would bring back to the house. However, they still weren't planning on leaving it with us. I've got to leave town for a week. I'll check back as soon as I can. Thx so much for your thoughts regarding our problem. BK