+ Reply to Thread

Default 7/8" Thick Cedar Lap Siding - Having trouble finding this dimension

Carpentry Question:Cedar Siding --- Replacement of a section of 7/8" thick cedar siding that is hard to find.

I need your help. I live in Gahanna, Ohio which is near Columbus, Ohio. I have a home that was built in 1994 with cedar siding, brick and concrete stucco. An area of the cedar siding needs to be replaced under a window where the cedar siding has deteriorated. The dimensions of the cedar siding are 7/8" thick, 8" overall width, with a 6" plus reveal. I can get away with replacing one board that is about 16' long. But; I can replace more if other deterioration is detected. I am worried that moisture is seeking its way through the deteriorated cedar to the building structure. I have caulked the bad areas to prevent moisture from entering the structure. The problem is, I can not find a vendor or lumber yard that can supply me with 7/8" thick cedar siding. Futhermore, the lumber yards and vendors are not much help in directing me to a supplier that can supply 7/8" thick cedar lap siding. I really need your advice and direction. Can you help me to find a supplier in Ohio?

IMG00090-20130701-1211.jpg

Default Re: 7/8" Thick Cedar Lap Siding - Having trouble finding this dimension

You need to contact local lumber yards, they might help you better.

Default Re: 7/8" Thick Cedar Lap Siding - Having trouble finding this dimension

i've purchased it at my lumber yard before, it had to be ordered.

you can also double up two regular pieces of cedar shingles and get 7/8"
    Last edited by MLB Construction; 07-02-2013 at 04:47 PM.