+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default flooring or walls first?

Bought a house that is roughed out inside. Do I lay floors first or sheetrock first? Does it matter other than messing up the floors with sheetrock dust?

Default Re: flooring or walls first?

Finished floors will always be the last thing you do. Get all your electrical and plumbing dealt with, finish the walls, then install doors. I would be inclined to paint at this point, then install cabinets. Floors can be done before or after cabinets, your choice.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Get your drywall finished and at least primed before you do your tile

That's right: drywall first. Don't sit the drywall on the floor, hang it about 1/2" higher than the floor.

When possible we like to get the paint on the walls then install the hard flooring, then install the trim / baseboards. You'll get a neater final product if you can keep the subs from damaging the floors.

Pierce,
    I'm not familiar with your phrase "floor stripping?" Are you talking about hardwood flooring?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    That's right: drywall first. Don't sit the drywall on the floor, hang it about 1/2" higher than the floor.
    Does drywall have to breathe?? Is that why it should be 1/2" higher then the floor

Quote Originally Posted by daycarelady View Post
    Does drywall have to breathe?? Is that why it should be 1/2" higher then the floor
    The gap is to help prevent wicking from slabs or wet subfloor. It also gives carpet a place to key into which helps to lock it in place.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rickey6967 View Post
    Well dude plumbing and electrical work always first after completed it then you flooring work because it is complicated work dude am i right buddy????
    On rough-in: Drains, then (rigid) ducts, then copper supply lines, THEN electrician. Wires are bendy, the aforementioned items are not.
    But yeah, in general hold the hardwoods until much later in the process, the exception being kitchens, where cabinets are best delayed until after the hardwood is down, sanded, and has at least a first coat; less risk of bumping the cabinets, which after all are the most expensive item.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Vacuum the floors immediately before each phase of painting, especially if you're spraying the paint on. This will prevent dust from getting into the paint.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.