+ Reply to Thread

Default putting soffit on a fieldstone cottage

I have a field stone cottage. The soffit that is currently there is wood and I want to replace it with aluminum.
    My problem is on the inside of the old soffit it goes right up against the field stones. What would you suggest as a method to attached the inside j strip, I was thinking of a narrow wooden strip attached to the existing soffit and then attach the j strip to it. Is there anything else that I might consider or am I missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: putting soffit on a fieldstone cottage

i like open rafters for the tails..looks better and eliminates the problem

http://expediter-nyc.com

Sorry I am not sure what you mean, 'rafters' can you explain.

Quote Originally Posted by canann View Post
    Sorry I am not sure what you mean, 'rafters' can you explain.
    He means leaving the rafter tails exposed, as opposed to enclosing with wood or other material. He apparently missed that it's already enclosed with wood.

I personally would leave the wood, repair/replace any damage, and paint it. Because it is a soffit, it is not subjected to the elements, therefore it does not need to be clad in aluminum, vinyl, or any other such nonsense.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the clarification, we are getting older and find it harder to paint the soffit as it is a big job, that is why we want to change it to a no/low maintenance.

Soffits are not exposed to the sun and the rain, and require much less care than the house exterior. It's considered "low maintenance" area.
    You can paint it yourself, on your own pace, or hire a handyman/painter to do it. Really no big deal.