+ Reply to Thread

Default Help!--floor stripping questions

hi all, My GF and I have found ourselves immersed, stuck, wallowing, whatever you want to call it, in a floor refinishing project and we're pretty much as frustrated as we could be.

It's a 1910 house, carpeted we know not when, maybe 20 years ago or more. We removed the carpet in the room, and the carpet underlayment, to find what we thought would be an easily sandable pine or fir (?) floor, previously stained, perhaps, but it didn't look like it'd be a big deal. had some brownish crap on it, worn through in spots and looking pretty rough. on renting a square type orbital sander, we found the paper was getting very gummed up with crud. maybe wax, maybe shellac, we have no idea. so then we thought stripper would be in order. research told us a general stripper would be the thing. we tried both citrus strip and a nastier chemical stripper and they both seemed to work about the same.

now it's evening, we're tired and frustrated, but ready with more citrus stripper, and planned on leaving it on overnight covered in plastic. then I read that's a no-no. the stripper would eat the plastic.

totally lost, now, wondering what anyone might suggest--is the plastic idea ok? can we leave the stripper covered in plastic for 12 hours or so (label says 24 is ok). Also, if it's a wax finish, with a penetrating type finish underneath, as we have read is possible, then I feel like all this effort is going to waste. you may know what I mean if you've ever had this sort of task in front of you. grrrr.

ok, deep breath. any help or advice is appreciated! thanks, ff

Default Re: Help!--floor stripping questions

It is easy to tell if it is shellac, try some alcohol. Shellac dissolves in alcohol. If it is wax a wax stripper would be best.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    It is easy to tell if it is shellac, try some alcohol. Shellac dissolves in alcohol. If it is wax a wax stripper would be best.

Jack
    Thanks. Can you point me in the direction of a good wax stripper for wood? aMost of what i'm finding ****** is not for wood--not sure what to search for.

Thanks again, ff

I had the same problem in our personal home and it was shellac. I just used steel wool, rags and denatured alcohol and it came up easily.

I've heard great things about Krud Killer. Going to get some and use it to clean our wood floors.