+ Reply to Thread

Default Removing stone walls within the house

Hi, here is the problem. The house we are dealing with was built in 1955, and is stone. In fact, all over inside and out. Over the years many additions have been added, and each time they ended up with a window opening going into the next room all stone. The flow of the house is awful in these areas. I would like to be able to make the window openings into doorways, but I do not know how to do that. is there a way to cut the stone or does it have to be removed piece by piece. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Removing stone walls within the house

it can be done but it's a semi-dangerous job that should only be done by a good mason. a lintel will have to be installed. the difficulty will be the thickness of the wall and what the wall is supporting above. even being a contractor myself i wouldn't tackle this job, i'd leave it to a very good mason.

Thank you so much for your advice. I will start to look in my area for a mason. This is one job I can honestly say I have never had to tackle! Thanks again.

Good advice. Don't even try to do a thing like this if you are inexperience.