+ Reply to Thread

Default suspended ceiling dilema

We have suspended ceilings through most of our house. Does anyone have a creative idea what to do to "brighten" them up besides painting. I want to redo our living room and dining room ceilings.Thanks

Default Re: suspended ceiling dilema

Personally, I would remove the suspended ceiling. You can however replace the tiles with many new varieties.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I'm with JLMcDaniel, unless there is an absolute nightmare hiding up there, I would take them down too. At least lift a couple of the tiles up and take a look around.

Suspended ceilings will always have a commercial look to them, no matter if you replaced all the panels. Granted that some panels look much much better than others.

Unless you've got mechanicals (pipes & ducts) running above the suspended ceiling, I would remove it. The extra vertical space enhances a feeling of openness, which helps to make a room feel brighter.

Beyond that, proper lighting is a very good way to brighten up a room. I don't necessarily mean more or brighter light, but lighting that is properly designed to reduce eye strain, provide sufficient task illumination, and reduce glare on things like the TV.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I think I have the answer IF you absolutely have to keep them. I don't remember if it was a Home Depot or a Lowes, but it was one of their largest stores that I saw a plastic wood grained cover for those thin metal strips that makes them wider and look like the wood styles used on a tray ceiling in old mansions. You could then cover the center panels with a wood grained contact paper and on a quick glance, it would look like a million dollar ceiling. Just make sure its a quick glance though.