+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Washing Machine Stand Pipe Overflowing

Hey all,

I'm having a problem with my stand pipe overflowing when my washing machine empties into it. I've already snaked the drain, and after doing so, I brought my garden hose into the house and flushed out the pipe for about 5 minutes. The stand pipe never even came close to overflowing with the garden hose (I have a trigger attachment with multiple settings). But even after doing this, the stand pipe still overflows when I do a load of wash. The PVC pipe is about 2 or 2.5" thick, so I don't believe it's due to the pipe being too narrow to handle the volume of water coming out of the washer drain hose.

Based on what I've stated, does anyone have a feasible solution for this? I'm really tired of monitoring the washer every time I do a load of wash, as well as cleaning up water from the floor.

Thanks!!

Joel
    Last edited by jgrumblatt; 06-30-2013 at 09:30 AM.

Default Re: Washing Machine Stand Pipe Overflowing

Typical pipe diameter is 2", and no, your garden hose won't usually overflow the stand pipe because it doesn't have the volume that a washer does during discharge.

What is the height of the stand pipe? It should be at or just above the level of the washer, a few inches low can make a huge difference in performance. The purpose of the stand pipe is to give the water somewhere to collect while the drain catches up to the discharge rate of the washer.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Sounds like you have a stoppage in the line. You may have snaked the line but the snake may not have been large enough to clear the entire line. You may have just poked a small hole in the stoppage.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Typical pipe diameter is 2", and no, your garden hose won't usually overflow the stand pipe because it doesn't have the volume that a washer does during discharge.

What is the height of the stand pipe? It should be at or just above the level of the washer, a few inches low can make a huge difference in performance. The purpose of the stand pipe is to give the water somewhere to collect while the drain catches up to the discharge rate of the washer.
    this would be my guess too. i had the same problem once. don't know what code states that the height of the pipe should be above the trap but a guess would be about 24" or so. what is the height of the pipe above the trap? can you take a picture of it?

Hey everybody,

First of all, thank you so much for the responses!

I tried to upload photos, but for some reason the forum isnt allowing me to do it.

Butheres what Ive done:

I bought a new 24 stand-pipe and replaced my old 18 pipe, thinking that the longer pipe would give the water more time and space to cycle through the drain system. I made sure the opening of the pipe was about the same height as the top of the washer. After letting the glue dry, I ran a load of wash, but to my dismay, it still overflowed.

I snaked the drain one more time, just in case I didnt completely clear any clog that may be there, and then ran another wash cycle. No change it still overflowed.

SoI had to bite the bullet and call a plumber, who will be coming out later this afternoon. Im starting to think my issue is what John suggested that I may have a clog further down the pipe that the snake cant get to.

Ill let you know what happens. Hopefully the solution is simple and inexpensive!

Joel

Let us know how it goes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jgrumblatt View Post
    Hey everybody,

First of all, thank you so much for the responses!

I tried to upload photos, but for some reason the forum isnt allowing me to do it.

Butheres what Ive done:

I bought a new 24 stand-pipe and replaced my old 18 pipe, thinking that the longer pipe would give the water more time and space to cycle through the drain system. I made sure the opening of the pipe was about the same height as the top of the washer. After letting the glue dry, I ran a load of wash, but to my dismay, it still overflowed.

I snaked the drain one more time, just in case I didnt completely clear any clog that may be there, and then ran another wash cycle. No change it still overflowed.

SoI had to bite the bullet and call a plumber, who will be coming out later this afternoon. Im starting to think my issue is what John suggested that I may have a clog further down the pipe that the snake cant get to.

Ill let you know what happens. Hopefully the solution is simple and inexpensive!

Joel
    Just be sure that you don't call a plumber that has rooter in his name.
    John

Another possibility is a blocked or missing vent.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Indeed - there was a major clog further down the drain that my 15 ft. snake couldn't get to. The plumber snaked it and ran 3 loads of wash - no more overflowing!

Thanks for your help, everyone!

I'm glad that it worked out for you.
    just a question: did you mention that you have a 24" tall discharge stand pipe? It should be higher than the washer.