+ Reply to Thread

Default Can you tell me what this wall covering is??

I have a hole to patch in a wall but I am not sure what is exactly covering the wall or how to go about patching such a large space.

It's only 1/8" thick and not secured to studs (drywall) or wood (plaster). It has the consistency of drywall, however. The walls behind it are stone. There are no studs. It's not masonite. I'm at a loss.

As of now, the hole is about 9" x 6", but it'll likely be bigger because the covering seems to have buckled from the wall. I tried using a 8" x 8" drywall patch, but it didn't seem to work too well with the size of the hole + the buckling (it doesn't make for a uniformly even surface).

If I know what the covering is, I would buy more and try and patch by cutting out a replacement piece/square.

(I tried posting pix but it is not working for me for some reason)

Help!

Default Re: Can you tell me what this wall covering is??

You can post pictures from photo sites like Photobucket, or e-mail them to me jackson_l_mcdaniel@yahoo.com and I'll post them for you.

From your discription, I'm guessing you have plaster applied directly to the stone. You will probably have to remove the buckled area to patch it properly.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Here are the pictures

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Looks like the finish plaster has broken loose from the scratch coat of plaster. I will leave it to Clarence, our resident plasterer, to tell you how to handle it. He has a couple brands of patching plaster he usually recommends.