+ Reply to Thread

Question Hanging a curtain rod on lathe & plaster

I'd like to hang curtain rods in my 1874 house so that I can pull the curtains clear of the windows. This means mounting them through the lathe & plaster. (There are no picture rails or crown mouldings.) What are my options for fasteners, particularly those that will support the weight of heavier black-out curtains? And what tips do you have for finding studs, eliminating damage/mess, etc. Thanks!

Default Re: Hanging a curtain rod on lathe & plaster

Molly Bolts is what I prefer for heavy items like curtain rods. First use masking tape, then mark the holes, and drill. Remove the masking tape, insert the molly bolts and tighten the screws to spread the retaining flangs, remove the screws and insert through the rod holders.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I used a toggle bolt to hang the curtain rods in my kids' room. They were not very heavy rods, though. For the rods I hung in the dining room, which were ornate and wooden, and heavier, I used a long screw - maybe 2 inches?- and drilled through the plaster into the wood behind it.

Related to this topic, I'd like to install a ceiling fan in a bedrm with a plaster ceiling. Currently there is only a ceiling light fixture. It is ok to use a ceiling fan on a plaster ceiling? My neighbor says 'no'. I watched the TOH 'Install a Ceiling Fan' video & wonder whether additional steps are suggested in my scenario.

The material your ceiling is made of does not matter, the matter in which the junction box for the electrical supply is attached matters. The box must be able to support the weight of the fan, that usually means the box has posts that anchor it to the nearby joists.
    These boxes are available at hardware/big box/electrical supply stores.

You definitely need to get attic/inside ceiling access and MAY need to change the supply to the fixture to 12/3 line depending on what you have now.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Quote Originally Posted by kbingner View Post
    Related to this topic, I'd like to install a ceiling fan in a bedrm with a plaster ceiling. Currently there is only a ceiling light fixture. It is ok to use a ceiling fan on a plaster ceiling? My neighbor says 'no'. I watched the TOH 'Install a Ceiling Fan' video & wonder whether additional steps are suggested in my scenario.
    Follow function's advice.

In some old houses, the light boxes were secured only to the plaster lath. With a lightweight light fixture, this was good enough for it's time but you need the best structure you can get for a ceiling fan. My criteria is that it had to hold my weight with me wobbling around hanging from it. Many of the commercial fan boxes will not do this and while they are supposed to be OK for this, I simply don't trust them.

Get a metal fan-rated box mounted to a 2X8 or wider which is fitted between the adjacent joists with at least 3 3-inch screws or nails through either side. That will never let go, promise!

Overkill? Maybe, but the possible consequences of a falling fan makes overkill worth it!

Phil