+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help - exterior porch and door colours

I don't know why it hasn't occured to me to turn to forums for help -- I've been googeling, searching pins and pics on houzz and other websites (like This Old House) but hadn't yet turned to real live people for help.

Here is the best photo I can quickly find of the exterior of our house. Not a lot has changed out front in the past 3 years since this photo -- except for the landscaping (prettier gardens) and the porch, door and covered porch walls and ceiling paint are all peeling.

Ideally I have a long list of things I'd change (feel free to add those ideas to your comments), but firstly I need to paint porches and doors. Right now the decking is grey, the railings and columns are white, the top of the railing is grey, and the doors are a pale purpley colour.

The white siding is old, and despite a cleaning doesn't look crisp any longer. I was thinking of painting everying white and just the doors a great red (not chosen yet) (concerns are if that will just eccentuate the old white siding). I've also thought about changing out the grey for a blue grey and doing red doors, or matching blue/grey doors. I always love black on a white house but the neigbhours (not pictured) have a very similar home and have black doors and shutters but is in a state of disrepair -- I'd like to help to distinguish our home from theirs.

Do you have any photos or initial recommendations for the colours of our porches and screen doors?

Default Re: Help - exterior porch and door colours

A question first. Your siding looks to be aluminum,correct? If so is it painted already? If not just be aware that once you paint it it will always need to be REpainted.
    An old house like yours has so much potential as compared to newer homes with no architectural detail. Have you considered painting the window frames,porch spindles and posts a different color?
    Color is hard to pick for people because tastes vary so much,but you could change this house from bland to beautiful if you highlight the right details.
    I can take some pics of my old home (just across town) if you like. I changed it from the bland "ugly duckling" on the street,to one of the better looking homes with a 3 color paint scheme. I was in a position where I had a pea green aluminum sided house,but I didn't want to paint the siding,so I had to work with what I had. IMO it came out pretty nice.
    Last edited by 67drake; 06-28-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Recommending house colors is like recommending a dress to my wife.

That's why I stopped recommending.

Why don't you go over to Home Depot and see pictures of color combinations? They have thousands of combos.

It looks like all you have to do is to paint your trim a contrasting but matching color to the siding.

Older alumnum siding can be painted . If the proper preparation is done and premium acrylic paint used, the finish should last for many years. During my contracting years, I painted many homes with aluminum siding, including my own, with excellant results.

Preparation amounts to getting rid of surface dirt, mildew/algae and any surface oxidation. Nothing should wipe off on your hand when rubbing the siding. It is normally not even neccessary to use a primer. A quality acrylic paint will bond directly to the siding.

One thing for sure, there is no more "bang for the buck" than changing the house color with paint!

See if this site helps you any. There are quite a few links on this page that may take you to exactly what you want.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8346895_hou...le-colors.html

There are several different approaches to selecting colors, but you should use some sort of color wheel that shows which colors tend to look good together and which ones do not. You should start with any colors that you cannot change. There are generally two approaches, complimentary and contrasting. Chose your style and good luck.

Here are two more sites that may be be better than the one I posted earlier (that post is currently in moderation). I suggest going to them in the order below.

http://www.housepaintingtutorials.co...nt-colors.html

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/f...llery#&ce_vm=0

Quote Originally Posted by 67drake View Post
    I can take some pics of my old home (just across town) if you like. I changed it from the bland "ugly duckling" on the street,to one of the better looking homes with a 3 color paint scheme
    Thanks 67drake -- I'd love to see what you did!!

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    Here are two more sites that may be be better than the one I posted earlier (that post is currently in moderation). I suggest going to them in the order below.

http://www.housepaintingtutorials.co...nt-colors.html

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/f...llery#&ce_vm=0
    Thank you -- I'll be sure to check out those websites once kids are in bed

Thanks for the advice. We aren't planning on painting the siding yet -- just the porches, doors and some trim. But you've given me hope for this future project

Here's a few pics I took this morning. Sorry they came out overexposed,you can't really see the colors too accurately. The siding on the house is a kind of pea green. Everything else on the house was painted white. I tried to find colors that would work with the green siding. I painted with a cream color (even though it looks white in these pics).and dark green.
    The house is looking a little shabby these days,I don't know if it went back to being a rental or owner occupied,but they have kept the basic colors in tact even though I moved out 18 years ago.