+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question water pressure in a house built in 1959

Hello, I have 3/4 inch galvanized pipe into my house, It goes into a T with a 3/4 and 1/2 and 1/2. One 1/2 copper then goes to a outside hose bib, the other 1/2 copper goes to kitchen sink and then to a soft water unit. From there it goes into a water heater. From the water heater out it separates to three sinks and two toilets, washer and bath, all on 1/2inch copper pipe. I want to get more volume/pressure to my bath. I will run 3/4 inch pex from the three way to the water heater. My question is, will I need to replace the 1/2 inch copper all the way to and including the bath/shower valve?

Default Re: water pressure in a house built in 1959

There is a very good chance your problem is the 3/4" galvanized main. In time the inside diameter of galvanized pipe tends to close off.
    John

First, replace your main line. From the meter in the street to the house I prefer 1" copper type L main line over 3/4" galvanized. Follow your local codes (if you need a pressure regulator, a relief valve, etc).

Second, as it enters the house, install a 1" T: on one side have a reducer to 1/2" (to the hose bib), and on the other side, continue with 1" that will have a second T: one side with a reducer to 3/4" (to the water heater). The other side continues with 1" and has a 1/2" reducer for each individual fixture. This will create a large main highway with a few off ramps kind of a setup.

Having so many fixtures on a 1/2" line can't work.

Thank you for the information you both provided. I did not consider the main to the meter, I need to get bids to replace that.

yes the better option would be only the replacement of the pipe as it would only sort out the problem
    check this link >>> Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    Hello, I have 3/4 inch galvanized pipe into my house,
    Agree with the others. That's the place to start.
    I had house built in 1902 which had all galvanized pipe. My friend and I plumbed in all new copper. This helped the pressure somewhat,but it was still not great. A few years later I had a leak between the street and the house I had to get fixed. It was not cheap,but it about tripled my water pressure after the fix.

hi,

I have a house built in 1959, it has 2 wire romex either 12 or 14 gage wiring. I want to upgrade the wiring include a ground. I want to install a ground wire down from each outlet into the basement and connect them to copper pipes for grounding. 1- do I need a junction box where the wires are spliced together? 2 - what gage of wire is best to use for the ground? 3. I am using a single green protected wire. 4 - is there ar limit to how many outlets can be tied to the same ground? 5 - I will be replacing the outlets to the newer 3 prong units. The kitchen and bathrooms already have ground fault circuits. The wires are being brought up from the basement through a 3/4 inch hole to the box in the living room and hanging into the basement to be tied to the copper water lines, which are grounded. Any helpful hents?