+ Reply to Thread

Question Convert bedroom to bath(s)

What is a good way to convert a small, square bedroom with one window and two doors to one or two bathrooms? The previous owner put a wall down the middle and made two corridor-style baths, which have lots of wasted space. I've seen a bedroom made into one spacious bathroom and laundry room. I would think a half-bath, or closet-sized throne room with a combo toilet/sink could be put in one corner next to a door. Any ideas?

Default Re: Convert bedroom to bath(s)

What are the dimensions of the room(s)? How about a sketch?

it can absolutely be done. in a house i owned about 10 years ago we had 4 bedrooms upstairs with no bathroom. we took one of the bedrooms and converted it into a great large bathroom with a separate tub and shower. best thing we ever did in that house.

how to do it depends on many many things. we need more info and pictures to give you some decent advice.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to post attachments so I can't provide a sketch.
    The room is 12 feet square. The West wall has a window in the middle, the North wall is blank, there is a door at the North edge of the East wall (with a foot or so of wall and casing out from the North wall), and at the East edge of the South wall. The room is in the NW corner of the second floor, with a bedroom to the East and a corridor to the South. The ceiling is 9-1/2 feet high. There is a lot of bad wallpaper and stick-on tile over the plaster -- the middle wall is of course sheetrock. The plumbing runs in chases along the Kitchen walls below, so relocating it won't be a problem.
    I think it's a bad idea to have two doors into one bathroom, so I'm considering making a quarter-bath for use from the adjoining bedroom. Is there a good toilet/sink combo on the market here in the US?

In Japan, where space is a premium, they frequently have a small sink for hand washing mounted on top of the toilet. You can see a pic of one at http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/look...let-comb-78548

Seriously, you might look into a wall-mount toilet and a wall-mount sink.

Quote Originally Posted by queen60 View Post
    In Japan, where space is a premium, they frequently have a small sink for hand washing mounted on top of the toilet. You can see a pic of one at http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/look...let-comb-78548

Seriously, you might look into a wall-mount toilet and a wall-mount sink.
    I like the space saving idea and the grey water idea.

I dislike the idea of standing over the toilet to wash hands. Especially right after flushing.