+ Reply to Thread

Question baseboard and tile which comes first

redoing the bathroom, tile floor all put in so what goes in next. I say put the base boards in first then the wall tiles on top. need your advise

Default Re: baseboard and tile which comes first

if you're tiling the walls and the floor, you don't put in baseboard. you tile down the wall to the tile floor. they make a base cove tile for the one that rests on the tile floor.

Design preference.

I'd say start from the bottom - baseboard then tile.

That way, you can finish it off with no cutting and have whole tiles all through the job...

Question, are you tiling all the walls or is this where the tub/shower surround extends to the floor? Are you installing tile base or wood base?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Question, are you tiling all the walls or is this where the tub/shower surround extends to the floor? Are you installing tile base or wood base?
    we have the tile floor in (not talking about the shower at all) but outside it, I'm looking at putting the base board in and then the tile on top of it and yes I am seriously thinking about tiling the whole bathroom walls,
    the base boards are 5 1/2" and the tile size is 14x 26

Quote Originally Posted by diane52 View Post
    we have the tile floor in (not talking about the shower at all) but outside it, I'm looking at putting the base board in and then the tile on top of it and yes I am seriously thinking about tiling the whole bathroom walls,
    You say that the base boards are 5-1/2". Assuming that they are tiles, they should go first, as mentioned before.

Quote Originally Posted by diane52 View Post
    Neither was I, I was referring to the legs of tile that come down the outside of the tub/shower to the floor. In this instance, the tub/shower tile goes all the way to the floor and the base butts into it.

As for base on a tiled wall, I don't know that I've ever seen that, the tiled wall simple goes all the way to the floor - no baseboard. I would suggest looking at some tile installations for yourself and see what you find and which you like best.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Most bathrooms I've seen use cove tile whether in the shower or regular tiled wall. There are two types of baseboard tile though, one is a sanitary tile which is used on a non tiled wall, and there is aversion for use on a tiled wall. I used the latter for my handicapped shower install because I don't like a vertical seam in a wet area. Using the sanitary tile allowed me to have a horizontal seam where the floor pitch away from the wall. Water has no where to go but to the drain. It is much harder to do this way, but I'd do it again.

the floor tile is first, if you do the baseboard first you have far less margin for error for cuts and its harder to maintain a proper grout line size. not to mention when youll see that irregular line first before youll see a sligh gap under baseboard to a floor when your looking down
    fire up the saw and make some dust