+ Reply to Thread

Question Ceiling Register Dilemma

Hello,

My wife and I recently bought a new house, and in the finished basement, there's a bedroom with two ceiling registers. The home inspector noted that both registers were return vents, so since there is no way to shut off the airflow when the A/C is on, he recommended installing two or three way registers. When I returned home with a pair of two way registers, I soon determined why one way registers had previously been installed. The duct size is suitable for 10" x 6" registers, as if I selected anything larger, the portion that opens/closes when the louver is pushed will not fit in the duct. However, the issue with this size is that the ends of the registers, where the holes for the screws are, do not extend to the ceiling; instead, they're just at the edge of the duct, so there's nothing to affix the register to. The previous homeowner (remodeler) likely bought the one way registers so he could use a larger size that extends past the duct to allow it to be screwed into the ceiling but without having to worry about the portion of a two or three way register that needs to fit in the duct itself.

Does anyone have an alternative way of somehow affixing these registers so they're secure enough that the louver can be used? Thanks in advance for your help.

Default Re: Ceiling Register Dilemma

Suspended or closed ceiling? Rectangular/square or round lateral supply duct? In any case, if it is possible, you may want to consider leaving the existing register intact and regulate the air flow to the bedroom with the changing of the seasons by installing an inexpensive manually operated damper/adjustable baffle or slide gate upstream at an accessible location.

If you want to get really fancy, you may want to consider installing a powered damper/adjustable baffle/slide gate in the supply duct at a suitable location upstream of the registers, which is automatically controlled by a separate local thermostat.

The simplest and most inexpensive solution, however, may be to mount two small right-angle brackets to the outside of the replacement registers using screws or pop-rivets and fasten the free leg to the underside of the ceiling (drywall, acoustical tile of suspended ceiling frame) so that they are concealed. Hope this helps.

Default Re: Ceiling Register Dilemma

I believe it's a closed ceiling, and they're rectangular supply ducts. Thanks for your help - I think I'm going to try an option fairly similar to your last one (the simplest and most inexpensive one ).

Quote Originally Posted by MoeSays View Post
    Suspended or closed ceiling? Rectangular/square or round lateral supply duct? In any case, if it is possible, you may want to consider leaving the existing register intact and regulate the air flow to the bedroom with the changing of the seasons by installing an inexpensive manually operated damper/adjustable baffle or slide gate upstream at an accessible location.

If you want to get really fancy, you may want to consider installing a powered damper/adjustable baffle/slide gate in the supply duct at a suitable location upstream of the registers, which is automatically controlled by a separate local thermostat.

The simplest and most inexpensive solution, however, may be to mount two small right-angle brackets to the outside of the replacement registers using screws or pop-rivets and fasten the free leg to the underside of the ceiling (drywall, acoustical tile of suspended ceiling frame) so that they are concealed. Hope this helps.