+ Reply to Thread

Default Unusual (for me) GFCI situation.

I have a two gang box at a bathroom vanity. It contained 1 switch/receptacle combination (broken switch) and 1 double throw switch. I replaced the switch/receptacle combination with a GFCI receptacle and the dbl switch with a decora triple switch. In the past when performing this type of update I would put the fans/lights on the GFCI load if their feed was at the switch box. This is the case with this situation but the fan/lights have only one wire each coming into the work box and the GFCI doesn't seem to like there not being a neutral on the load side. I currently wired the switches unprotected but I was wondering if there is something I'm missing here or if the only way to protect the switches is to install a GFCI breaker at the service panel.

Default Re: Unusual (for me) GFCI situation.

GFCI are designed to compare the current flow on the hot and neutral. If the current flow is not the same the GFCI trips. In your set up you have current flow on the hot and zero current flow on the neutral side so it trips. Time fro a GFCI breaker.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks Jack, for taking the time to answer. I was relatively sure there was no other way, but wanted to get confirmation. I appreciate the simplified explanation of GFCI function. I guess if I would have thought about it that way in the first place, I wouldn't have spent the time scratching my head.

You're quite welcome. We all stand and scratch our heads sometimes and it's usually over the simple things.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb