+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default How to vent air from attic to stop musty smell

Hello,
    I am struggling with musty smell coming down from attic in hot summer months. The house was built in 2010 and it has soffit and ridge vent. There is no other vent in attic. I have no trees around the house, so in summer, it gets full sun for the whole day and attic gets extremely hot. I am struggling to find a solution to the problem. I was suggest to put a gable vent also. But I am not sure what is the right solution.

Any help provided will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: How to vent air from attic to stop musty smell

Attics don't typically have a musty smell, it's more of a hot, old wood, and dusty insulation. This is normal, no matter how well ventilated the attic is. If you've got a musty aroma, make sure that bathroom exhaust vents and other plumbing in the attic are sealed and functioning properly, you really don't want to be adding moisture to the attic space.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Did you get a chance to go up in the attic? try it in the morning, before it gets too hot.
    The reason I'm asking is maybe you can define "musty smell" more precisely, and by going in the attic maybe you can find evidence of a leak?

You can also add an attic fan to force some of the hot air out thru the gable vent. These fans come on when the temp in the attic goes over the thermostat set temp. Some of them have different fan speeds too.

Hello.

Thank you for your response. I will perform the checks that are mentioned by senior members. I must point that the smell is only noticable in summer when temperature is above 85-90 degrees. I don't have gable vent in attic, which I think would have solved my problem by adding attic fan to it.