+ Reply to Thread

Default Flooding Basement

I purchased my grandparents house a little over a year ago, There is a well in my cellar which is about 2 feet in diameter and about 15 feet deep, My grandfather had a jet pump (Goulds J5SH) set up with a pipe going to the bottom of the well which he would plug in to pump it out for a couple hours at a time to keep the water level low enough so the basement does not flood. I want to set up a pump to come on and off automatically when needed, I thought i had it solved the other day, i dropped a plastic sump basin in the well, and set a submersable sump pump in that, but less than 1 day later my basement began to flood and i had to hook up the origional jet pump. Theres also a second sump pump pit on the opposite side of the basement (also the side of the house that began to flood), I could see the water coming in where the floor and the wall meet. I dont understand how i had 2 sump pumps running yet the basement was still able to flood but if I use the jet pump its dry as a bone. The Sump Pit is piped out to a dry well on the left side of the house and the well is piped out of the basement into a storm drain over 30 feet away. I've checked my roof run off, and everything is graded away from the house properly, theres no low lying areas near the house. Any suggestions or ideas of why the 2 sump pits are unable to handle the problem?

I also tried just lowering the submersable pump into the well deeper but when i did that it started to cycle of pump on ever 24 seconds
    Last edited by Frank6013; 06-14-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Default Re: Flooding Basement

Frank,

You don't state whether there is some kind of drainage system feeding the sump pumps. Normally a sump pump would be connected to a drainage field around the entire perimenter of the foundation footings to intercept ground water and send it to the pump where it would be expelled to the exterior some distance from the foundation. Without a drainage field, you are only draining a small perimenter from the pump. I have no idea of what it wound cost to break through the floor and install a drainage system, but it certainly would pay the electric bill to keep grandpa's deep well pump running for a long time! It would seem that some kind of timer could also be put on the existing deep well pump to automatically keep the ground water level down. Perhaps a professional well drilling company could give you estimates of how much water is neccessary to pump daily.

I have never heard of the deep well system you inherited. I can only surmise that because it is so deep, it is draining a wider area under the house, much like a supply water well will drain the area around it and can even run dry if too much water is pumped too fast.