+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Installing HardiPlank over Existing Siding??

We recently purchased a 1920s house and would like to install Hardiplank siding over the existing/original siding. The siding is in decent shape and lays relatively flat. I have found a couple of similar threads on the internet with differing opinions. One opinion was it would be ok, but to add building paper on top of the existing siding. What is the purpose of this? A picture of the siding can be see here:

http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/...psdaf7f2b0.jpg

We will blow insulation into the walls, but as an additional insulator, we were thinking of also adding a radiant foil barrier at least on the East & West sides, as it is hot as the dickens in SE Texas. Here's a link to what we are thinking: http://atticfoil.com/applications-a-...rd-siding.html

Do you think this will help? The website states that there needs to be an air gap, but can't quite tell if the gap needs to be between the foil and the siding or behind the siding.

Also, we may want to change out some of the old windows to more efficient ones, can this be done after the siding, or should we do it before?

Thank you for any and all comments and advise.

Default Re: Installing HardiPlank over Existing Siding??

i'm 100% against going over existing siding with anything, including hardiplank. no matter what you do it ends up looking like a sloppy job. all the additional work that would be required to extend the window casings, door casings, corner stops, etc just doesn't make it worth it. it won't lay flat over the old siding, it just doesn't look right.

just my opinion.
    Last edited by MLB Construction; 06-18-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Agree 110%. The proper way is to remove the old, inspect everything, fix, repair and replace, if needed and then install the new.

And, by removing the existing siding, you can spray foam the wall cavities for superior insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by daspyda View Post
    And, by removing the existing siding, you can spray foam the wall cavities for superior insulation.
    you can NOT do that. to do that you would have to strip the sheathing therefore compromising the structural integrity of the house.

installing hartiplank over the old siding will void the warrenty. they specifically call for a flat wall surface that is covered with house wrap. on top of that you should install a rain screen to allow for drainage behind the siding so water that gets behind the siding can drain down and dry
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    you can NOT do that. to do that you would have to strip the sheathing therefore compromising the structural integrity of the house.
    Can't they drill holes and pump in foam?

Or remove one sheet at a time, spray, and then reinstall?

Ok, y'all have convinced me, but now I need to convince my hubby.

Thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseTW View Post
    Ok, y'all have convinced me, but now I need to convince my hubby.

Thank you for your input.
    That will be easy.

HELP!!! Ok, if you can believe it, there was a mis-communication between my husband and I. There is no sheeting/plywood on the outside of the studs of the house. The existing siding is attached to the studs. Can we attach the hardiplank to the studs. What additional prep material is necessary. At this point what would you do to insulate. This is becoming a nightmare & I appreciate any and all input. Thanks!!