I want to paint my 1980's wood windows and would like to remove them to do an accurate job.

These are somewhat old wood windows (not the ones with ropes) that are slotted on the side and move along slotted runners.

In my kitchen, I can see there is some sort of notch in the window slot that is preventing me from squeezing the window out the jamb. In the bedroom though, the runners have an outside lip that encloses the entire sash - these look much harder to remove.

Any help is greatly appreciated.