+ Reply to Thread

Default Help with a shower remodel

I am converting a standard shower into a no step walk in shower (handicap). The old tile floor is coming out as the drain needs to be replaced. Any advice on how to setup the new shower floor would be appreciated.
    frank

Default Re: Help with a shower remodel

depends on what type of sub floor you have. is it wood framed? cement?

if it's wood, you'll have to cut the joists down and reinforce them to lower the drain below the existing floor level. if it's concrete you'll have to remove the whole floor and pour a new lower one.

Wheelchair showers have different set of codes than regular showers. Here in Los Angeles, the rules are determined by the Fire Department.

Get yourself familiar with your town's codes, before you start, know exactly what to expect so there will be no unpleasant and expensive surprises later.

I did one of those, but due to a HD crash, I don't have the photos anymore. My floor is 2x10 joists. After removing the tub and supporting the joists from below, I removed the joists directly below the new shower. I cut the joists off where they meet the edge of the new stall. Then I put a double joists perpendicular to the cut ends and attached them to the cut ends and the joists on either side of the new stall. I also doubled up the joists on the sides of the new stall. This left a hole in the floor exactly the size of my new shower stall.

Then I made short joists out of PT 2x6 and put them across the opening every 16", but about 4" down. I covered those with 3/4" PT plywood. I made a concrete bed for the shower floor following instructions from a book on tiling by Edward Burnes. The top of the bed matched the floor level. I extended the vinyl liner well into the bathroom floor under the new tile. I also put a small pitch on the rest of the bathroom floor with thinset so that any water that got out of the stall would flow back into the room. If I had to do it over again, I would have replaced every rafter and rip cut each one to form the pitch instead of doing it with thinset.

I used the 1" hex tiles as they have the highest coefficient of friction when wet. I also used epoxy grout and I do not regret that decision. Even though I was a first time tiler, the epoxy was easier to use than i had been led to believe. I found it easier to use than the premixed regular grout I used on the walls. You just have to follow the instructions exactly.

Thanks for the tip on the epoxy grout. Unfortunately, this is a ground floor bathroom. So I am dealing with the foundation.

That's what I thought....looks like I have my work cut out for me...

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    depends on what type of sub floor you have. is it wood framed? cement?

if it's wood, you'll have to cut the joists down and reinforce them to lower the drain below the existing floor level. if it's concrete you'll have to remove the whole floor and pour a new lower one.

Quote Originally Posted by fdwolf View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the epoxy grout. Unfortunately, this is a ground floor bathroom. So I am dealing with the foundation.
    What does this mean, does it mean that you have a slab on grade? My bathroom is also on the ground floor, but it is a conventional foundation.

I guess here in the southwest they lay a foundation and then a thinner slab for the shower pan, line it, and then fill it in with mortar (sloped of course). So, I paid someone to jack hammer out the old drain and replace the p trap. I then repaired the slab around the drain area. The new shower liner is in and I hung the vapor barrier such that it overlaps into the shower pan. Cement board is up on the studs. My next step is to lay backer board on the floor leading up to the shower pan. After that is dried I will float mortar in the shower pan and slope it all to the drain. Then tile.

It looks like you got the order right.

When tiling a sloped floor, be prepared to do a lot of precision cuts.