+ Reply to Thread

Default Wires too short- options?

I'm installing a new dishwasher and the wires from my house do not reach to the conduit box on the new dishwasher.
    There is enough slack for me to connect them outside of the box- is that a bad idea? OR
    Can I solder more copper to the existing copper wires from my house to add the needed length?
    Thanks for your time.

Default Re: Wires too short- options?

Quote Originally Posted by thekarat View Post
    I'm installing a new dishwasher and the wires from my house do not reach to the conduit box on the new dishwasher.
    There is enough slack for me to connect them outside of the box- is that a bad idea? OR
    Can I solder more copper to the existing copper wires from my house to add the needed length?
    Thanks for your time.
    Easy question first: Solder is never allowed to be the sole method of splicing wires. Wire nuts in a box is the only practical choice.

What I would do is purchase and install about four feet of #14 SO cord and attach a plug to one end. Connect the other end to the wires in the junction box, on the new washer. Match the colors on the wires.

Make sure power is off to the circuit (verify power is off with a voltage tester) and install a receptacle behind the washer, in a box with a cover, at the end of the existing wire.

This way, anytime you need to work on the washer you can turn the breaker off and disconnect the washer without disturbing the wires.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

The last dishwasher installation I did, was similar to yours, where the house electrical wires where too short.
    I did exactly what semiretired described.
    Now, if the owner wants to pull out his dishwasher, he doesn't even have to turn the breaker off - all he has to do is unplug the pigtail cord.

Ditto to Maurice's suggestion.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb