+ Reply to Thread

Default Green grass dying in "mats"

Hi, I have a large lawn that looks like a golf course in the spring! Full, lush grass needing to be cut twice a week. I usually notice that the grass "changes" come summer. I thought it was usually due to higher temperatures and less rain (although I do have an irrigation system). Since we've had a relatively cool and wet spring here in the mid-Atlantic area, the grass has been doing quite well. What I have noticed though, and recall this from years past is that the grass appears to become less robust, and tends to lie down and form mats. The underlying grass tends to brown and die. Mowing does not seem to be sufficient enough to pull up this grass. Is this a natural process? Does it have to do with my type of grass? I have a friend who has a lush yard and I don't notice this taking place in his yard. His grass continues to grow tall...although it does slow down.

Default Re: Green grass dying in "mats"

Could be the type of grass you have, an overabundance of thatch, or you are cutting it to tall. Have you tried de-thatching?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Most of my grass is a tall fescue variety. Recommended in my area for when it gets hot and dry. Also, yes, I usually dethatch every fall. It's usually this matted down stuff that usually gets sc****d up leaving bare areas. Finally, I usually cut my grass on the longer side since this is the recommendation for dry conditions. If I had to guess, I'd probably say about 2-3" when cut

It is a characteristic of tall fescue unfortunately. I would prefer short fescue over tall fescue for a lawn it has the same drought resistance but doesn't generally fall flat.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Okay, Thanks Jack! I didn't know. I will certainly take that into consideration when I power-seed this fall.

Okay, Thanks Jack! I didn't know this. I will certainly take this into consideration when I power-seed in the fall.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitly take this into consideration when I power-seed in the fall. I've also read where this matting and moist conditions may be leading to a fungus problem.