+ Reply to Thread

Default Testing wires to make sure power is off??

I'm watching Richard replace a dishwasher here and he uses (I think) a digital mulitmeter to make sure the dishwasher was correctly marked in the electrical box. I've flipped off the power but I'd like to test the wires to make sure it is off. I just bought the home and am not sure if the things are correctly marked.
    Can someone please tell me how to use the digi multimeter to test the wires?? Or is this the wrong thing to use for this purpose? Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Testing wires to make sure power is off??

Multimeter, Wiggins or test light can be used. For a multimeter, set the meter on AC volts and a scale higher than the voltage you want to test. Plug the leads into the meter one in the common and and one in the hole marked V-ohms-mA. Remove the wire nuts to gin access to the bare wire ends. Touch one lead on the white wire ends and the other lead on the black wire leads.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Red face Re: Testing wires to make sure power is off??

Man, you're awesome! Thanks so much!!

Good info from Jack, also what I do is test to verify that the meter/tester is working correctly by plugging it into a known source (receptacle) before and after I test for voltage in the circuit I'm working on.

Then, before I touch any wires I short them together with a screwdriver etc. If power is still on I may get a flash and trip a breaker, but I won't get shocked.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post
    Good info from Jack, also what I do is test to verify that the meter/tester is working correctly by plugging it into a known source (receptacle) before and after I test for voltage in the circuit I'm working on.

Then, before I touch any wires I short them together with a screwdriver etc. If power is still on I may get a flash and trip a breaker, but I won't get shocked.
    I do that also but would never recommend shorting with a screw driver to a novice.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If all you want to do is to test the two wires out the wall, use a tester with a light. You attach one lead to the black and one lead to the white. No tester light means the circuit breaker is off.
    It sells for about $4 at HD.

Didn't think about testing the tester!- but the power was off so everything is good... except I have one more question. I'll post a new thread. Thank you for all the input I'm just about done thanks to y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I do that also but would never recommend shorting with a screw driver to a novice.

Jack
    The key word was "then"

If something went wrong testing for voltage I sure don't want the next step to be "handle wires".
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post
    It's a really good idea to wear gloves and eye protection if you do this. If there is an electrical arc, it can send globs of molten metal flying.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.