+ Reply to Thread

Default floating floor has friction with baseboards

I have installed a engineered hardwood, "click together" type of flooring.Its on a 3/4 T&G substrate. It is overtop the manufacturers recommended underlay, which is quite thick. The manufacturer specifies the substrate has to be within 3/16 of a inch over 10ft. I had a professional come and thinset the low spots. After the floor was installed, there was a few squeaking sounds but very minor. The problem is that I have installed the baseboards and there is now friction between the baseboard and floor itself , resulting in a louder noise coming from the base of the walls.
    I could raise the height of the baseboards a bit but am relucant to do that. I feel the thick underlay is the culprit, allowing the floor to move more when walked on.
    I am very dissappointed and am considering removing the floor, however it would be of great exspense. I could have lived with the floor before the baseboards were installed, but aftering installing the baseboards I would not be able to live with it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this??

Thanks

I don't understand why you are willing to remove the entire floor, but reluctant to raise the baseboards. Raising the baseboards will be a lot less work.

I don't understand why you are willing to remove the entire floor but reluctant to raise the baseboards, which is much less work.
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 06-20-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: duplicate posts

Default Re: floating floor has friction with baseboards

Why would you rather tear out the floor than raise the baseboards 1/16", that doesn't make any sense at all!

If you want a "cheat", why not lubricate the joint between the floor and the base? Use a silicone or similar dry lubricant aerosol with a straw. Push a wood wedge between the base and floor to open a small gap, spray the lube, pull the wedge and move on down the line. The lube will should quiet the friction squeak, if it doesn't, then all you're out is a little time to pull the base and reinstall a tad higher. If it comes to this, slip a sheet of paper between the base and flooring as a spacer, remove once the base is installed. The gap will prevent future squeaks.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Engineered floating floors require space to move. Not only around the edges but between the flooring and the baseboard. Raise the base board.

JAck
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for your comments.

I still don't understand why anyone wanted to fix something that wasn't broken. The best wood floors are the old fashioned hardwood installations which are repairable, refinishable, and can last over a hundred years- which has not been improved on yet and I kind of think isn't going to change anytime soon either The only real advantage of pre-finished wood floors is the quicker install turn-around; the cost is not lower but is actually higher when you consider that they're going to be replaced at least once compared to the traditional floors. Even the sandable ones have a limited-depth surface which will mean early replacement in comparison. And somehow this is a better flooring?

Yeah, raise the baseboards, you have to- and live with any bugs and air movement that not having the baseboards or shoe molding as tight as it is supposed to be would have stopped While you're at it, learn that the newest trend means nothing until it has proven itself to be better than the old one. Just like textured ceilings were used to save a step in drywall finishing and pushed along as 'stylish' but are now seen as cheap, you're going to see the same thing with floating floors in the next 10-20 years.

Being a traditionalist doesn't make me a luddite- I see it as simply accepting the obvious fact that some things are so good we really can only make them worse, not better.

Phil