+ Reply to Thread

Default ac can't cool house

So I live in austin tx and the nights are not getting above 80 degrees and the days are in the 90s outside, but at night the ac is not able to bring it down to 73 deg from about 78 deg. For exmple last night at 8:00 the thermostat said it was 80 deg(after showers and making dinner) when I got up the next moring the thermostat said 77 deg. A little info about the house the ac program is mon-sun 8am-8pm 78, and from 8pm to 8am 73. The house is a two story, three bedroom, 2.5 bath with a attic with blown insualtion. The windows are the engery efficient along with two glass doors. I have lived here for about 1.5 years and last summer it did not do this. So here is my question why is the ac taking 12 hours to cool the house three degrees?

Default Re: ac can't cool house

Make sure the outside unit is clean. Around here ,this time of year, the cotton wood trees "shed" and all the cotton sticks to the AC. I would hose it down if it is dirty.
    Otherwise you may have a leak in the system.

You could use a professional check up and tune up, offered by local A/C contractors. But be very careful with them, ask questions and call 2-3 of them. Make sure you're talking the same language with them.

There are many things that can be wrong, some of them you can do yourself, like check the air filter at the return, make sure the outside condenser is free of obstructions and it has enough clearance.

Other things should be left for an a/c tech to check.

You need a complete system check up and tune up, offered by local A/C contractors. Call 2-3 of them, make sure you understand what they say and do for the money.

There are a few things you can check yourself, like the air filter and the clearance around your outside condenser.

There are a few things that can be wrong with your A/C, low refrigerant level as suggested is one of them. These things should be done by by a pro.

thank you all it ended up being low on freon

Quote Originally Posted by tylercc View Post
    thank you all it ended up being low on freon
    Adding more gas to the system is merely a temporary solution, since the system supposed to be leak proof. Have your line tested to find out where the leak is and have it fixed. Good for you and good for us.

It is Federal law that no licensed installer/contractor can "just add Freon" without first checking for leaks and repairing the system if any are found.