+ Reply to Thread

Default New built in bar turned from white to yellow in one week

I need help! We just hired a cabinet maker to build us a bar unit in an upstairs bonus room that we are finishing. Within the first days of being installed we noticed it had yellowed from white. He insisted it was due to other sub contractors using a halogen light. Could it be the heat as we had not turned the AC on yet? Or something in the paint or lacquer? I don't feel it's our fault and he should repaint.

Default Re: New built in bar turned from white to yellow in one week

I agree with you, except that if you paid in full, the cabinet maker has very little incentive to help you. This is the reason you should always keep 10% of the job price as a "retainer" at the end of the job, to be paid in, say 30 days.

Call him, politely explain your position and hope that he comes through.

What is the material it is made out of and what is the finish?

Light colored woods can darken significantly and quickly when exposed to sun or harsh light, such as a halogen lamp. Some finishes can yellow, particularly oil based ones.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

what is the finish is it paint or clear and what wood was used? i know that if it was painted and then clear coated most clear coats yellow over time and he should have made sure to use a non yellowing clear coat. so I would say if it is paint and it yellowed he should repaint it because it would have yellowed eventually with halogens or not. and if he didn't say not to use halogens it is his fault anyway. if it is clear then the wood is just yellowing and there is nothing to be don't with it. as a former cabinet maker I disagree with dj1 my contracts always said bill will be paid in full upon completion. but I always stand behind my work and if there is a problem I always fixed it. I honestly have never heard of anyone holding a retainer for custom cabinet work.

Woods just naturally oxidize and turn darker until equilibrium is reached if no efforts are made to stabilize it. Stains are not just used to add a certain color, but to keep the wood from excessively turning dark. If that bright white of white pine is desired, a white pickling stain is first used on the pine. A water based urethane will then assure that it does not initially take on an amber tone, nor become more amber with age, as do oil based varnishes and urethanes.

I once helped my neighgbor finish the pine woodwork in his new room addition. I warned him not to miss any areas, because in only a few weeks it would be blatantly obvious what had been miss. Sure enough, he missed a couple window sash which turned reddish in short time One only has to envision thousands of basement rec rooms that were built during the 1950's to see what happens when pine paneling is not stained before varnishing!

I've been painting for 28 years. There is absolutely no reason your painted cabinets would turn yellow from white because of a halogen light. Ask the cabinet maker if he primed the wood on the cabinets properly. I would recommend an oil base primer on the wood & then a 100% semi gloss or gloss latex finish.. If the cabinet maker used an oil base paint on the cabinets & never primed the wood first then all forms of exposure will turn the white to yellow. White oil based paints will turn yellow over time period. An example would be to open a closet door in a home where the trim is painted with oil. 1 side will be white & 1 side will be yellow.. I hope this helps
    I work for Hidden Content