+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Is pre drilling cement board siding required

do you have to pre drill cement board siding prior to installing a lag screw. If you don't pre drill what would happen.

Default Re: Is pre drilling cement board siding required

installing a lag screw in almost anything requires predrilling. if you're "nailing" up cement board siding the answer is no, it does not have to be predrilled.

if your gun nailing no it doesnt need to be pre drilled.. if your hand nailing you have to pre drill at the ends otherwise it will shatter
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Since you're installing lag screws, you really want the screws to be biting into the wood behind the siding, since the siding itself isn't going to have the structural integrity to hold any weight by itself. So yes, you should predrill through the siding. The pilot hole through the siding should be equal to the outer diameter of the screw threads; the pilot hole in the wood behind should be equal to the inner diameter of the threads (or slightly smaller). Failing to at least predrill the siding could cause a blowout of the fiber cement product.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

All,

Thank you...One more question should i use a masonry drill bit.

yes, into the cement board.....no for the house sheathing