+ Reply to Thread

Default 1500 BTU Window AC -- Soleus vs Fridgidaire

This is kinda a stretch for this discussion area, but figured I'd ask.

Various reviews have the Fridgidaire 15100 window unit as a solid buy. 900 sq ft of cooling, 399 at Lowes, 2/5 years of full/sealed warranty.

But I ran across another brand -- Soleus that has a few, but mostly positive reviews.

I'm getting this for by 24 x 24 shop. It's insulated. I tried a 12K btu unit, but it just did not have enough cooling power.

Fridgidaire -- http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...367&cId=detail

Soleous -- http://www.menards.com/main/applianc...835-c-5571.htm

Default Re: 1500 BTU Window AC -- Soleus vs Fridgidaire

I would go with the Frigidaire unit.

There have been a number of complaints from those who bought Soleus ACs, and then had the motor or some other essential part of the unit fail within a short time; not only is this unacceptable for an air conditioner, which the customer rightly expects the unit to work well for a number of years before any problems like this arise, but there are reports that the customer then called the company to get the expected warranty service and was told no one was there & to "call later", so the problem doesn't get solved.

Not only that, but the customer with the broken AC can't get parts for the Soleus AC, since they apparently don't have any parts distribution warehouses in the USA---Soleus products are made in China, and don't have a major US mfgr like Frigidaire, Fedders, GE, Carrier, Kenmore, Friedrich, or other major AC mfgr backing up their product or parts distribution network, or Japanese/Chinese parts distribs such as Panasonic, Sharp, LG, Haier that have established a track record of reliability in the U.S. residential AC field and have an established parts distrib network in the U.S.

I have had good luck so far with the Frigidaire AC product I purchased one year ago.
    Last edited by dodsworth; 06-18-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dodsworth View Post

There have been a number of complaints from those who bought Soleus ACs, and then had the motor or some other essential part of the unit fail within a short time; not only is this unacceptable for an air conditioner, which the customer rightly expects the unit to work well for a number of years before any problems like this arise, but there are reports that the customer then called the company to get the expected warranty service and was told no one was there & to "call later", so the problem doesn't get solved.

Not only that, but the customer with the broken AC can't get parts for the Soleus AC, since they apparently don't have any parts distribution warehouses in the USA---Soleus products are made in China, and don't have a major US mfgr like Frigidaire, Fedders, GE, Carrier, Kenmore, Friedrich, or other major AC mfgr backing up their product or parts distribution network, or Japanese/Chinese parts distribs such as Panasonic, Sharp, LG, Haier that have established a track record of reliability in the U.S. residential AC field and have an established parts distrib network in the U.S.

I have had good luck so far with the Frigidaire AC product I purchased one year ago.
    Thank you -- exactly what I was looking for -- I had nearly come to this conclusion after some googling yesterday, but really value your summary. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dodsworth View Post

Thank you. I was getting that sense yesterday after some more googling, but you summarized extremely well.