+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Outlets on one side of bedroom have no power

Hey guys!

Before I bought my house three years ago, the one car garage was converted into what is now my bedroom. A couple weeks ago, I tripped over my fan chord, which was one and abruptly became unplugged, and now my outlets on that side of the room have no power. The outlets are on the wall that is connected to the rest of the house, so they are likely the original ones, are GFI, and just need to be reset, but I can't figure out how to reset them. There is no button for them on the outlets themselves. I did check the one in the kitchen and the bathrooms to see if resetting them would solve the problem, but it didn't.

I am sure this would a really easy thing for an electrician to fix, but I don't want to pay for them to come to my house for five minutes. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!
    Hilary

Default Re: Outlets on one side of bedroom have no power

If there is no reset button on the receptacles then they are not likely GFCI. You could however have a GFCI or AFCI breaker. Another possibility is the the jar cause a loose connection in the receptacle especially if the wiring is in the stab connectors rather than around the screws.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

ditto Jack

Also, did sparks fly and smoke appear when you tripped?

Depending on when the house was built a GFCI was required in certain receptacles in the garage. Now they're required to protect everything in the garage.

If you don't have a GFCI breaker, keep looking for a receptacle to reset. Sometimes the're hard to find and may be all across the house, which is now illegal.
    Last edited by The Semi-Retired Electric; 06-25-2013 at 06:56 PM. Reason: stated wrong
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Call a licensed electrician, it won't be a five minute fix.