+ Reply to Thread

Default Vertical gap between brick front and wall

We have a two-stored house with brick front, and there is about half an inch vertical gap between the mortar (of the brick) and the wall, all the way from below the roof to the ground. Should I caulk it, or is it necessary for weeping? This house is 20 year old house, and we didn't notice it until about 8 years ago. Thank you for your advice.

Default Re: Vertical gap between brick front and wall

You have a problem, the brick veneer was not properly installed. Either and improper base or the not enough ties were installed. I believe it will continue to separate until it falls if it is not fixed properly. I would suggest you cantact a professional mason. Be prepared, it may need to be completely redone.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Once you remove the bricks, you will have new options on how to finish, besides new bricks of course.

Give yourself the chance to explore other exteriors. Some may be more suitable at a lower cost.

can you post a picture of it? chances are that there is a major problem but it's also possible that it's not as bad as it looks.

i'd also recommend having a mason or good contractor look at it to determine why this happened and come up with a few possible fixes.

I would like to thank all three of you for the comments.

I tried to attach photos but was unable to upload them. The size of the photo is 2.45MB, and I wonder if this exceeds the size limitation. Is there any other way to send you the photos? Can I email?

Thanks.

You can email your photos to JLMcdaniel at this forum, just mention "photos" on the subject line. He'll be glad to post them for you.

Hi JLMcDaniel,

I managed to go to the email page, but instead of the option of "attachments", it asks for "Insert Image". and it does not take my photos as "Images". Sorry for the unfamiliarity of the system. Can you still help me?

Before panic sets in, if the gap is a consistent 1/2" top to bottom, then I don't think you have a structural problem. Its a problem if the gap is significantly different between the top and the bottom. There should be about a half inch gap between the brick and the wall sheathing, but is must be consistent. This gap is filled with a chinking type compound, not regular caulk. Your home center or local hardware store can provide you with the proper materials.

BTW, did you have your house painted shortly before you noticed the gap? This stuff has to be redone periodically and if it had deteriorated, the painters may have removed it for you and forgot to tell you about getting it replaced.