+ Reply to Thread

Default Groundhog living under low deck

Hi,

I've been fighting several weeks now with a young ground hog that has taken up residence under my back deck. I live in rural northeastern Pennsylvania. Until a year ago I had a dog, but haven't yet replaced him so there is nothing to keep varments away currently. I have put down repellant that doesn't work. It just keeps kicking fresh dirt over it. Now I am lining the edge with rock then covering the gap between ground and deck with cinder blocks. My next step is sitting in wait with a bullet for it. Live traps aren't really an option. Another will probably move in or it find its way back. Other then removing the deck, do you have any suggestions if the stone and block don't work.

Thank you,
    Cassie

Default Re: Groundhog living under low deck

My friend, who lives in the same general area as you is battling a woodchuck who just moved in under his deck.
    Last year he killed a woodchuck with a ...shovel. Like you said, baits and traps have little success. So, take position, sit and wait for it and then zap it.

Is the groundhog doing any damage to your house or bothering you in any way other than trespassing?

.22,and a steady hand.

Consumption of my landscaping plants is the worst damage so far. Fear of damage from water running into his burrow to the house foundation is my secondary worry.
    Thank you all for your input so far.

Mix some Hot Sauce and a little dishwashing detergent in a garden sprayer and spray down the plants it attacks, it will soon leave them alone.

I have a couple of other things you might try. You don't want to shoot it because if it isn't a clean kill, it might go back into its burrow and die. Then the smell will have you looking for a new place to live.

You might try one of those battery operated mole chasers. You put it in the ground near the burrow and the sound will disturb it to the point that it moves out.

My other suggestion is a little less pleasant. You take your garden sprayer into the bathroom and urinate in it. add a little water to make about a quart or so. Add a little liquid soap like Murphy's Oil Soap, but nothing with a scent or bactericide. The set the nozzle of the sprayer to a stream, pump it up and spray it into the burrow. The smell will drive him out.