+ Reply to Thread

Default Covering old stovepipe hole

I am in the process of patching my 1912 plaster bathroom walls in preparation for applying Master of Plaster coating. One corner has a chimney which is no longer in use and is covered over above. There is about a 6 in stovepipe hole with the usual metal hole cover. I would like to fill this in and cover like the rest of the walls. I know I can use a piece of sheetrock, mesh, etc, but am wondering how can I put something in there to stabilize the sheetrock--or is there something better to use? I have a mesh patch which is somewhat reinforced to put over it, but I don't think it is solid enough by itself. Of course the surround is plaster over brick. Suggestions?

Default Re: Covering old stovepipe hole

You can mortar some pieces of brick in the hole first.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

No idea how to do that, especially in a 6" round hole.

As long as the chimney has bee terminated properly, filling in the hole to the room is no problem.

Install some backer material. If you will be using plaster, I'd go with as large a piece of plywood as you can fit through the hole, follow that up with some wire lath, then layer in the plaster. If you're going to fill the hole with drywall, then a couple of sticks across the hole will suffice, cut your patch and shim stock to flush with wall surface, then tape and mud in with drywall compound.

Let me reiterate, as long as the chimney has been terminated properly, filling the hole is not a problem.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!