+ Reply to Thread

Default Adding exterior motion light to garage

I've decided to add a motion light to the side of my garage that faces the alley. The problem I'm facing now is how to add the light where I want it. Ideally it would be centered with the peak of the roof line, however this means placing a jbox right on a 2x4. I assume this means using a pancake box, but I can't figure out how to get the box flush with the siding. If I wasn't lining it up with the peak of the roof, I would use a cut in box but due to the 2x4 I can't do that. So, I'm looking for thoughts on how to cut the siding to allow me to place the pancake box. This is masonite/hardboard siding and the interior of the garage is unfinished.

Thanks for the help.

Wink Re: Adding exterior motion light to garage

if you purchase a motion detection exterior flood light it comes with an exterior box. simply drill a hole for the wire, caulk around the wire and hole, mount the box on the exterior of the garage and mount the light.......see how simple that was....now you're all done

Default Re: Adding exterior motion light to garage

I think he wants the box to be flush with the siding. The box must be deep enough to have enough space for the wires, so installing a pancake box may not have enough space in it. It's OK if the box extends out a bit off the siding. Just caulk and seal around it.

Does Carlon or someone else make a "old work" fixture box - - if they do, the box is secured & held flush to the surface by turning the screw fasteners just like other "old work" (blue plastic) outlet boxes.

You could consider a solar-powered light with placing the collector out-of-view...

Quote Originally Posted by OldHomeNoob View Post
    I've decided to add a motion light to the side of my garage that faces the alley. The problem I'm facing now is how to add the light where I want it. Ideally it would be centered with the peak of the roof line, however this means placing a jbox right on a 2x4. I assume this means using a pancake box, but I can't figure out how to get the box flush with the siding. If I wasn't lining it up with the peak of the roof, I would use a cut in box but due to the 2x4 I can't do that. So, I'm looking for thoughts on how to cut the siding to allow me to place the pancake box. This is masonite/hardboard siding and the interior of the garage is unfinished.

Thanks for the help.
    You've described "Mission Impossible".

Other than finding a fixture that does not require a box you can't do everything you specified, unless you remove the center 2x4 and find another way to hold the roof up.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content