+ Reply to Thread

Default Do all traditional colonial style home have to have window shutter?

My house is a typical American colonial style two storied. Most of this style house (including all of my neighbors') have window shutters. Are there any alternative exterior window dressing, such as brick veneering to the size of the shutter? Any opinions?

Default Re: Do all traditional colonial style home have to have window shutter?

Brick as window trim ? I think it would either look awful or interesting, but surely "not any period."

As a construction method & material, brick work (and masonry work) is expensive; that's way there aren't many new 100% brick houses and landscaping with masonry work is always (or mostly) renovation or after-sale projects.

Brick is heavy, and I don't think it would be wise to have that weight resting in the middle of exterior walls around windows.

Alternative window dressing ?? Looking at classic colonials, either they have real shutters or no shutters. Faux shutters are cheaper builders' way of fooling you with non-existing quality or function - - they are now ornamental. If you have faux shutters, keep them or maintain them If you don't have them, some nice insulated windows with working hardware & screens are all you need; a nice trim color would go a long way for curb appeal.

It was once the thing to do in the US to place shutters everywhere. To me it looks very homey. Even a huge house can be made friendlier-looking with shutters while it would be sterile and imposing without them. I think it's something about the way they hang on the hinges at a slight angle to the wall plane; the irregularity breaks up the line, gives interesting shadows throughout the day, etc..

Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Every real Colonial house I've seen has shutters and has always had shutters. The 1940's box houses called Colonial sometimes don't have them. I would say an authentic look requires real operating shutters. Fake ones add nothing in appearance or authenticity; you see them on all sorts of houses.

I would imagine your neighbors' houses have louvered shutters upper level and paneled shutters on lower level. Good that you have some shutter examples to follow if you decide to put them on again.

When we bought our 1863 house, all shutters were already removed, probably when siding was installed. Also the corbels below the roof eves were removed. I found several shutters in a crawl area, being used as the flooring of the crawl, I was horrified! The best thing we did on our house was to put shutters back on the house and it was a huge difference. The architectural appeal of the house jumped and as Sombriel mentioned, it adds dimension to the surface of the house. Plus one for shutters.