+ Reply to Thread

Default Hot floor of bedroom above the garage

We have two storied house built in 1988. Our master bedroom is on top of the two car garage. As the garage gets hot especially on sunny days, the bedroom floor gets hot accordingly. I suspect the ceiling may not be insulated or poorly insulated. The air under the bedroom has no air outlet/vent.
    My insulator tells me that if the ceiling has no insulation, he could blow in fiberglass insulation, but if the ceiling has some (inadequate level of) insulation, then it would be difficult to blow in additional insulation. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Hot floor of bedroom above the garage

cut a small 1' x 1' hole in the ceiling of the garage, get a flashlight and stick your head up there and take a peek.

Here's a little trick to cutting that hole that MLB mentioned. Cut the sides at an angle inward so that the piece that you remove is sort of pyramidal in shape. That way, when you go to replace it, all you have to do is butter the edges with joint compound or spackling and stick it back in place.

Thank you both MLB and Keith. Sounds like a good plan.

One followup question is that if we find that there are some insulation already in the ceiling, are there some ways to add (blow-in) more insulation, because obviously the current level is not enough to keep the room from the hot air, without taking down the whole ceiling dry wall. Thanks in advance.

the issue with blowing insulation into the bays if there is some, even minor, insulation up there is that the insulation that's up there acts as sort of a speed bump to the blown in insulation being installed. akin to a clogged drain, the water has a hard time getting by the gunk in the drain.

it can be installed by drilling many more holes to blow it in. it's really just a matter of additional time/labor. imagine that to do your ceiling with no insulation already up there that they have to drill a hole every 6-8 feet in each bay. if there is some insulation up there they will now have to drill a hole every 2-3 feet. very doable, just a little extra time.

Thank you MLB. I can fully understand what it would take to do the job.

Here is one thought from an untrained mind. As long as you open the holes, can you push the existing insulation to both ends with some kind of tool (I guess the holes have to be a little larger in order to let the tool in), so that the both ends will have thicker insulation while the center will be clear where you can blow in with new insulation without any resistence. Please pardon if this can even be possible, not knowing what kind of existing insulation is there. Thanks for your time and help.