+ Reply to Thread

Default Leak from the top of the basement walls

After a few hours of rain, there are a few streaks of water coming down from under the sill plate on top of the concrete wall of my basement. We have a two storied front bricked house. From the outside (the front foundation), I don't see any obvious holes. Could it be possible, the water from the two story length is rolling down and into the gaps between the bricks and foundation concrete? Any thoughts?

Default Re: Leak from the top of the basement walls

Do your bricks have the proper weep holes around the base of the walls? A weep hole is where the gap between the bricks of the first course above the soil level is unmortared about every two to three feet. This leaves a gap for water to escape. The weep holes should be above the soil line but below the top of you basement walls.

Default Re: Leak from the top of the basement walls

If this is duplicate, please ignore.

Thank you Keith. First of all, I didn't know there were weep holes.
    I need to give you more background of this case. A few years ago, we noticed a lot of ant frass between the sill plate and the top of the concrete and spider webs along the wall. So, we thought the ants crawl in between the bricks from the foundation line, and we decided to block all the gaps and holes along the first brick at the foundation line with cement and other caulking material. In fact, the water leak from the sill plate started some time after (although I am not sure how long after) the caulking. But, there are no more ant activity since then, although it could be from the bud spray.

My question here is that the first brick must be sitting on the edge of the concrete wall and shouldn't the edge be backed (where it meets the sill plate) in such as way any water/bug can be stopped, especially if the first brick is left unmortared? Could it be that in my case, the backing of the edge of the first brick is not done properly?

And my second questions is even when the weep holes are blocked, shouldn't all the water along the walls fall onto the ground anyway? (Maybe I am asking this question because I don't understand how the weep holes are designed to function). I saw in some large building which installed metal flashings around the foundation with 45 degree angle to spat the water away from the foundation. Can this method be used at residential homes? Thanks for your time and advice.