+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question New Undermounted (can I?) Stainless Steel sink in existing granite tile countertop?

I need a new stainless steel sink, but I love my current granite (tile) countertops. Can I get an undermounted sink? Or do I need to get a drop in? Are there any important differences between stainless steel sinks?

Many thanks!

Laurie

Default Re: New Undermounted (can I?) Stainless Steel sink in existing granite tile counterto

Yes, you can find the sink you want to be undermounted.

Default Re: New Undermounted (can I?) Stainless Steel sink in existing granite tile counterto

any countertop installer should be able to install a new one for you.

(1) What does she have now, over or under ?

(2) Is the cutout large enough to consider double sinks ?

(3) Time to re-consider a new faucet -- faucets with pull-out spray will leak in time, so maybe get a pre-rinse.

(4) How about a new food disposal ? 7-10 years, may a new one.

Laurie: SS sinks are sold in metal guage (thickness) -- some say 20-22 is enough. I like 16-18 for twice the money. Then, there's a undercoating for sound proofing. Then, look at the basin corners - round, rounded or square (square has a unique look but can't clean the corners). Do you want a companion bottom rack to protect the finish? Then, made in China, US or Europe (hard to tell, but info available). After that, a sink is a drop forged piece of quality stainless steel. My Franke is made in Switzerland and the workers received good wages I paid more in price. Or go to the big boxes and get the cheapest one that appeals to you, 18-20 guage.

Good points from t_manero. Good things to consider.