+ Reply to Thread

Default Low pressure from spout and shower

I have an American Standard Tub and Shower faucet. The pressure from the tub spout and shower is very low, but pressure is great in all otherr areas of the house. I have taken the handles off and tested the valves and there is a ton of pressure there; the water shoots straight to the back of the shower wall. Is there anything I can do outside of taking the wall out, or am I screwed? My bathroom does not have an access door for the fixtures in the wall.

I'm also a little leary of the work done by the contractor because he closed the wall up before I checked the pressure. He also wanted to charge me 4K to fix water pressure in kitchen and bath. I managed to fix the pressure in the kithen just by changing the fixture. A new fixture I purchased which was also American Standard mysteriously became defective after he installed it.

Can anyone help me out here?

Default Re: Low pressure from spout and shower

Those "defective" fixtures may have only had clogged aerators. Likewise with the tub, it's likely a clogged shower head if you've got plenty of pressure out of the spout.

This has been a popular topic of late, I'd recommend looking through the list of posts in the plumbing section of this forum for posts similar to your symptoms for further info.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I did notice that this a hot topic I still haven't realy found a solutionin so far in any of the previous posts. How could it be possible for anythign to be stopped p when everything is brand new? That's why I'm so confused:

If pressure is fine everywhere else, then the blockage must be at the tub/shower valve or the shower head. I'm one that likes to start with the easiest things, so I'd remove the shower head and see if pressure improves. If not, then I'd still inspect the shower head for debris particles and set it aside. From there, if the tub spout is also lacking pressure, this would indicate a blockage within the valve itself. Turn off the water at the house main shutoff or at the street main, whichever is easier to access. Remove the shower valve(s) and check the valve body (bodies) for blockages. Check the valve seats or cartridge for damage, defects or blockages and repair or replace as necessary.

At this point, while the valve is still open, I'd be inclined to turn the water main back on (done by a friend at the other end of a walkie-talkie ) slightly to clear the tub/shower valve of any debris. Turn the water back off, reassemble the valve (s), turn the water back on and test the tub spout. If all is clear, run the shower to clear the neck of any residual debris before replacing or reinstalling the shower head.

Turn the water main back on and check for leaks and pressure.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Those "defective" fixtures may have only had clogged aerators. Likewise with the tub, it's likely a clogged shower head if you've got plenty of pressure out of the spout.

This has been a popular topic of late, I'd recommend looking through the list of posts in the plumbing section of this forum for posts similar to your symptoms for further info.
    I did notice that this a hot topic I still haven't realy found a solutionin so far in any of the previous posts. How could it be possible for anythign to be stopped p when everything is brand new? That's why I'm so confused.

Quote Originally Posted by yovon11 View Post
    How could it be possible for anythign to be stopped p when everything is brand new? That's why I'm so confused:
    Quite easy, the replacement of the fixture could have dislodged debris within the plumbing lines, either at the fixture or at the water main when the water was shut off for the replacement. If the home has galvanized water lines (though copper isn't immune ), then there is likely to be considerable rust and debris build up at each fixture as well as the water main. When the main was turned off to replace the fixture, it knocked debris loose which was sent to all other locations within the system. My suspicion is that the tub/shower in question is the furthest point in the system OR was the first to be run when the water was turned back on, forcing the debris to this location, and this location primarily. If you were to check the aerators at all sinks in the house, you'll likely find debris. Remove the aerator, run the water for a moment, clean the aerators and reinstall.

I have low presssure only from the hot water--cold is fine. Theplumber replaced teh "cartridge" in teh American Standad valve. Works fine mixing hot an dcold,but when you move the valve to only hot, the pressure goes way down. The valve supplying the shower is wide open.

I assume you have a three handle faucet, correct? I got confused at the end of your post, the defective fixture, was it the kitchen or replacement tub fixture? You pulled the cartridges and turned the water on and got good pressure, but did you get good volume? Was the spray from the hot just as thick as the cold? Try that again but get some container like an empty gallon milk jug and fill it up, measuring the time it takes to fill it hot and cold sides. It should be the same for hot as cold.

If they are the same, try installing the cartridges in reverse, the cold to the hot and the hot in the cold. The handles will work backwards but if the problem moves, then the hot cartridge is the issue.

Serb,

Your hot line has a partial blockage.