+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pool pump

Default pool pump

Does a pool pump need to work 24 hours a day or is it sufficient to stop it after working for 12 hours? Neigbours
    are complaining of noise coming from pump especially at night.
    Thanks for your advice.

Default Re: pool pump

A pump does NOT need to run 24/7.
    I run mine during daylight hours, as moving water is harder for algae to grow in.
    IF we swim at night I run the pump for about another 1/2 hour after we get out of the water.
    This is also considering that the pump/filter is not undersized for your pool though.
    Also,pumps should be fairly quiet. Make sure no leaves,pine needles,debris are caught in the impeller.
    Last edited by 67drake; 06-07-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Is there a possibility to cover pool pump with a box of some kind? I may be able to construct wood box around it and over it. It is an annoying buzz. Unfortunately, I'd never have a pool again due to noise of the pump . Do you have a solution?
    Thanks again.

You can do it, but to muffle some of the pump noise more effectively, build a block wall around it.

I planted bushes around mine,but that is more to hide it out of sight.
    I have seen people build little sheds over their pumps to hide them. I would give it a little ventilation as the motors do get hot.
    Again,no need to run it continually,unless the pool is used 24 hours a day. Nothing wrong with running it all the time,I just don't want the extra expense on my electric bill.
    If you have others that you know with a pool you may want to see what brands they use. Some may be quieter than others. I can barely hear mine running 15 ft. away,and this is for a pretty big in-ground pool.