+ Reply to Thread

Default Way to Make Drawers Open and Close More Smoothly?

Hi,

I am trying to come up with an easy fix so that we don't have to do a full replacement of our kitchen cabinets. I like the layout of our kitchen, the granite countertops, etc. The problem I have is that the cabinets that were used are cheaply built. I don't mind how they look so I could live with that, but some of the drawers don't open and shut correctly. It's almost like they come off or get stuck on the runners they are on.

Is there a way to replace the runners? Or is there another solution to make the drawers open and closer better? I would love to know if there's a way to switch out the runners that are used so that the drawers could open and shut like higher end drawers.

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Way to Make Drawers Open and Close More Smoothly?

You could consider self closing full extension drawer slides like http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...9&site=ROCKLER

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

What kind of drawer guides do you have now? There are ways to lubricate or adjust most systems to facilitate better function. Rather than going through all the different methods for all the different systems, it would be easier to know what you've got.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

These would work! Thanks! I wasn't sure if you could switch out drawer slides after the fact. This solution would save us a ton of money.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    You could consider self closing full extension drawer slides like http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...9&site=ROCKLER

Jack

A cheap solution is to clean and lubricate the moving parts in your drawers.

It depends entirely on how well-made your drawer boxes are. The crappiest ones will not upgrade easily to better glides. The worst glides have just a single metal track and one floppy roller. Accurides want box 1" smaller, Blums want box 1/2" smaller. HTH
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I am pretty sure they are the cheaper ones you are talking about -- one run on the bottom of each side of the drawer. Tried to attach a photo, but I can't get it to work.

most side mount slides need 1/2" clearance on each side of the drawers. if you have this you should be able to replace the slides with just about any side mount slide. you may need to do some blocking to support the back of the slides because many cheap cabinets just have a flimsy bracket holding the back of the silde to the flimsy back of the cabinet. this is actually usually where the problem is. but you can usually put in some wood blocking to screw the slides to.